Thursday, July 17, 2008

Full Moon Swim

A Full Moon Swim


I left the porch, the newly hatched robins and my pristine lake behind and took the Subaru to Minneapolis, or the “Minneapple” as some locals affectionately refer to it. Stopped in to see some old friends who design really neat homes, cabins and cottages. Although it"s a large metropolis, Minneapolis is the City of Lakes in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, so Jeff , Mike, Doug and all the other people at SDC have a strong context from which to design these lakeshore dwellings.

Leaving the “Cities” this afternoon it was still about 85 degrees until I stopped in Spooner for a Dove bar. (I would have preferred a Snickers Blizzard-hold the chocolate syrup-but the lines get so long on a sticky humid summers eve.) As I continued east, the temps continued to fall as the full moon peaked and poked behind and out from the remaining scattered clouds, lighting them up like a carnivals midway. Soon, as the dew point and temps both met at about 68, the most beautiful layer of fog seemed to be gently poured over the pines and bogs and winding road in the most haphazard yet beautiful way. As soon as I had a signal, I telephoned my granddaughter who is staying with us, describing this magic and urging her to accept my offer of a full moon swim.

We’ve just returned from the dock , I’ve toweled off and slipped into my flannel PJ’s. That was an amazing swim, the entire lake lit up by the full moon on a crystal clear night that had shed the tears of the days earlier storms. A full speed run (okay, half speed) off the end of a wooden dock into the black abyss. We splashed around like a couple of muskrats in love knowing that this moment was ours forever…just the two of us under the stars with the sweet smell of pine in the air enjoying a full moon swim. Thank you my dear. Goodnight and sleep tight!

I’ve gotta run. Thanks for stopping by today and bringing the pie. All my love to you and yours, Elmer